Blackadders Scratchbuilt Titan projects..................

• I know you are a big Forgeworld Fan - but to be honest: if the Forgeworld Titan and yours would be standing on the same spot, I would give the FW Titan a glimpse and then spent a lot of time admiring yours from every angle.
    THIS is how a Titan should look like!
    :up:

• Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate the sentiment.........

I'm in complete agreement and loathe this new tangent FW has initiated. When the first knights appeared I thought them an interesting group style and they did have a certain appeal but they certainly shouldn't dominate the overall design of all the classes of vehicles. From a distance without a reference for scale it is difficult to recognize Reavers and now Warlords from any of the knight variants. I strongly suspect that the Titans as a group came into being because of the 'Epic' scale figures and the desire to have humanoid shaped larger figures to play the game. The Titans filled that need but the classes were all distinct and original in shape not just different sizes of the same design.

I think FW is just either getting lazy in their design department or has just run out of ideas.

First they need an infusion of new blood and second they need to re-embrace the sorely neglected Lucius Pattern equipment.

Plus the Damned thing is just too small.

"It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Blackadderz ()

• First and foremost: I am a silent admirer for some time now. I've seen some Titan projects here and there but none even close to the perfection your Titans have. So much love for detailes and what little we know of how they should look like. Really am anticipating every update you make on any of your projects :love:

The new Forgeworld Warlord Titan have some real issues with practicability.
    This scaled down, simplified and overall lesser version is already at a price range most players can't effort, making it a economical risk for FW. After the first wave of "must have it!!!!" they will probably still need a few years until it will be really worth the expense for them. If all the time and effort would have been put in a smaller project with more people willing to buy it the profit would had been much higher. So it's a lot of pressure for the designer to make it look awesome but at the same time tune it down as much as possible to make it profitable.
    If you see if from this viewpoint it is still a good effort. Of corse not even close to your awesome titan, but as much as I would dare to hope for. The demand for a warlord was there since the first titans, so I guess they did the best they could think of in the time and with the ressources given. Of course anybody with the money would rather buy your titan, but you aren't quite there yet to mass produce it right? ;)

I also suspect that they have only one or two designers working on titans right now. So it doesn't really surprise that they don't have a wide range of different patterns or designs. Which is a shame, but Forgeworld isn't big enough to support all of it at once I guess.
    If any of us would buy GW and FW some day you know you have a job there :P :up:

Brutvater (aka Area-Moderator) des Tyraniden-Bereichs

Tyraniden Linksammlung
    Tyraniden KFKA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Egal wie hitzig die Debatte: Immer sachlich und höflich bleiben.
    Don't wake the Dragon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ˉ\_(ツ)_/ˉ

KY-'aLK BGY'a TShLMVTh L'a-'aYUr'a Ur'y
    Auszug aus Psalm 23

• Thank you for the in depth reply and evaluation.........

However:

My Two Cents:

There's nothing wrong with buying models, I've bought many in my time but the cost of models and resin models in particular has skyrocketed over the past few years and something must be done (at least in my case 'cause my kids gotta eat....) to offset the dollar drain. I offered an alternative and try to show what can be done when your budget won't allow dumping thousands of hard earned dollars/euros on miniatures. A good case in point are the incredible Russian 40K forums that specialize in paper craft; producing high quality FW models out of paper. I learned a lot from joining those sites and believe me many of the artists there would put any one of us to shame with their skill at reproducing models indistinguishable for the resin originals. Now FW has offered what I consider a pretty mediocre $2000 dollar Warlord capitalizing on their name and rep. The model is nothing more than an undersized up scaled 'Knight' titan with very little innovation and imagination in it's execution and presentation (cripes couldn't they show it as a side by side with a Reaver and Warhound???? They wouldn't dare because it's too small!!! A minimum of 26 inches by their own formula is the requisite size for a Warlord and theirs computes 3 inches deficient.......). I'm thankful that I built my own Warlord but had they offered a reasonable production Mars Warlord uncompromised in size and grandeur I would have had my order in already.

"It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

• Thank you for the in depth reply and evaluation.........

However:

My Two Cents:

There's nothing wrong with buying models, I've bought many in my time but the cost of models and resin models in particular has skyrocketed over the past few years and something must be done (at least in my case 'cause my kids gotta eat....) to offset the dollar drain. I offered an alternative and try to show what can be done when your budget won't allow dumping thousands of hard earned dollars/euros on miniatures. A good case in point are the incredible Russian 40K forums that specialize in paper craft; producing high quality FW models out of paper. I learned a lot from joining those sites and believe me many of the artists there would put any one of us to shame with their skill at reproducing models indistinguishable for the resin originals. Now FW has offered what I consider a pretty mediocre $2000 dollar Warlord capitalizing on their name and rep. The model is nothing more than an undersized up scaled 'Knight' titan with very little innovation and imagination in it's execution and presentation (cripes couldn't they show it as a side by side with a Reaver and Warhound???? They wouldn't dare because it's too small!!! A minimum of 26 inches by their own formula is the requisite size for a Warlord and theirs computes 3 inches deficient.......). I'm thankful that I built my own Warlord but had they offered a reasonable production Mars Warlord uncompromised in size and grandeur I would have had my order in already.

• E.L.M.E.R. Gantry:

I've been thinking of making a base for my titans ever since I built them instead putting them on a shelf. I was walking past a neighbor's house the other day and they were throwing out one of those cheap plastic shelf units and there it was, the perfect setting for my titans with room enough for three.

http://i.imgur.com/XXzuZ9F.jpg

The unit is tall enough to accommodate the Warlord with swing away arms overhead cranes and with a few girders, and staircases, safety rails, and intermediate maintenance platforms this could make the ideal display stand /display case.

http://i.imgur.com/XUz53ZD.jpg

With lighting, maintenance vehicles, and personnel this could be quite a focal point in my den.
    http://i.imgur.com/v1LCohL.jpg

Now I need a group of descriptive words for the acronym E.L.M.E.R.

Any ideas?

• Got it:

EXTRAVEHICULAR LEGIOS MECHANICUS EVALUATION & REPAIR Gantry

Thanks for all the suggestions, I got the two 'E's '&'

I was really hoping for some cool German tongue twisters.. sigh!

• Thanks for all your work.

Zitat von Gagoc The Ancient;422211

BlackAdder, found something on Natfka you might be interested in.
    http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2…tan-comparisons-from.html

Finally a comparison shot and thank you. It's what I have always thought since first seeing the new titan (and pretty much the mistake I made when I did a concept study of my Warlord in scrap plastic paneling):

Written 2010/8/16 when I had just started my Lucius Warlord...........

Zitat

Whew, were has the summer gone? I had hopes of rendering the basic structure and working on the detail this winter but no such luck plus there are serious errors in scale comparing the the body to the legs and waist. Just to prove the Blackadder is as fallible as they come here is my effort thus far ridiculously out of proportion. The legs are easily 2 to 4 inches too short and the model as it stands is only 19 inches tall. By adding 4 inches to the legs and topping the carapace with the void shield generator housings that should bring it to the goal height of 28 inches.

The difference is I recognized my mistake; it looks like FW studied it and copied it, Ha!.

When I build this ( The FW Warlord) I shall lengthen the legs at least 3 inches..........

• Your English is infinitely better than my German and thank you for the sentiment.

Ihr Englisch ist unendlich viel besser als mein Deutsch und danken Ihnen für das Gefühl.

• E.L.M.E.R. Gantry:

I took a week of to arrange my work area as things were getting pretty messy with all the projects going at once and I was rapidly running out of work space.

I did manage to cut out the intermediate deck of the E.L.M.E.R. Gantry (EXTRAVEHICULAR LEGIOS MECHANICUS EVALUATION & REPAIR Gantry) to receive the fully assembled Warlord; the gantry takes up all my paint work table space and hopefully when finished will provide both a display diorama fitting for such a construct plus a safe container to house the model in in one piece rather than separate the hull from the legs to prevent toppling as I do now.

http://i.imgur.com/atyfd1n.jpg

Something seems wrong with the focus on my camera but in the images presented ther is the new beginning of the command deck hologram tactical display plus a Space Marine for scale.

http://i.imgur.com/zaIi3OR.jpg

• Some Thoughts on My Warlord Titan Hangar:

The following is in answer to a post on another forum but it pretty well delineates my intentions regarding this construction:

Granted in it's initial state being fresh (Ahem; figuratively speaking) out of the recycling bin it is little more than a set of cheap plastic shelves but yes I am going to add beam mounted e.g.

four way overhead track traveling cranes with electromagnetic lifting heads (Rare earth magnets) on all four levels for moving heavy components.

and:

Plus catwalks aplenty, recessed tracks for small cranes, and hangar support vehicles, oodles of suitable pseudo-religious 40K artifacts, tech priest enclaves, and I'm hoping to find 28 MM ground maintenance personnel and a few Sentinel Heavy Lifters to dress up the hangar.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.............

Don't forget, my Lucius Warlord was once just so many styrene sheets and recycled bottlecaps... Ha!

My goal is to make a stable display stand/diorama for my titan to be stored in when not in play as while it does have the capability of standing unaided for days on end it has toppled over on occasion incurring time consuming repairs. I'd prefer not to have to be continually rebuilding it. Plus this will make a handy storage/display area for my other two titans as well.

• An Interesting Image:

Found this comparison image on the internet and superimposed the skulls which are virtually the same size.

One might extrapolate based on this image that the Lucius Warlord stands taller than the Mars by a considerable amount.

• Auto Focus Failure

There is something wrong with my camera's auto focus

http://i.imgur.com/xpqhJjB.jpg

But these two images convey the gist of the subject at hand namely the priming of the Gantry so with another camera later on I shall be presenting the cranes and paraphernalia requisite for a heavy equipment maintenance area.

http://i.imgur.com/8CIMIkB.jpg

Right now with the overall gantry primed gray I think it shows off Luteus in a fine setting for display purposes

http://i.imgur.com/LNvYtEZ.jpg

Providing of course you have oodles of empty space in your "Man Cave"....Ha!

• Back To the Warlord:

While I am designing the T'hawk cockpit interior I ran across my Tech priests for the Warlord. I'd forgotten I made these to go in the upper gallery of the Warlord interior in the altar area.

http://i.imgur.com/x6jTfb8.jpg

Since then I made a few priest consoles and added a FW production Tech Enginseer.

http://i.imgur.com/VV8Pw7i.jpg

The problem with you Blackadder is, "You can't paint!"

• When last we visited I was building a base for Lucie so as to display her on a shelf without toppling. But wire coat hangers are too flexible for a model of her weight so searched for a more durable rod of similar diameter. I have just found such a rod in of all places an electioneering poster support frame. These frames must withstand high winds at times so the rod is super stiff for it's diameter.

http://i.imgur.com/4wj9vZQ.jpg

So Lucie now stands somewhat erect on a custom base that still requires further painting.

http://i.imgur.com/S8ETKGh.jpg

Soon to be displayed in my curio cabinet.

http://i.imgur.com/afIAdIU.jpg